A Historic Home Restoration & Modernism with Christine McKanna-Farr
Take a step inside GLENROCK - a circa 1903 Australian hardwood timber cottage, restored into modern-day limitless luxury by Christine McKanna-Farr.
A circa 1903 Australian hardwood timber cottage set on 100 acres in Bulga, the Greater Hunter Region in NSW. Featuring a master bathroom as an oasis to soak up the outdoor vistas while luxuriating in deep baths, high ceilings.
Christine McKanna-Farr From designmilkstudio designed this luxury bathroom as an oasis to escape and indulge in luxury whilst soaking up the outdoor vistas
To achieve such limitless luxury, Christine celebrated the impressive wall heights with clever design choices. Christie visited our Rutherford store where our Thala Marble Tiles were chosen as the hero tile.
A considered laying pattern for the feature vanity wall laid in a vertical stack draws the eye up to further accentuate the wall height and a herringbone pattern on the floor nods to the traditional history of the house.
Christine also chose our Mod fingers white, laid vertically to again accentuate the wall height on the remaining walls and in the shower with white grout for a subtle pattern.
Gold tapware, simple styling and paired back accessories are offset with bright whites and floor to ceiling sheer curtains to deliver limitless luxury.
Design Tips To Take Away
- Save on costs by only tiling the required section of the wall - this is particularly handy if you're in love with a luxury tile.
- Choosing just one tile but mixing tile laying patterns can add interest without cluttering the room.
- Use your tiles to play to the room's strengths as Christine has here with the use of vertical tiles to play to the room's wall height.
- Grout colour can dramatically change the look of tiles. Choose a matching colour for a subtle look or a contrasting colour for a bold or funky design statement.
- Keep styling paired back for a sophisticated look.
- When renovating a heritage home, keep historic features as Christine has with the original doors and addition of the arch over the doors and window.
About Christine McKanna-Farr
McKanna-Farr’s ‘Business of Design’ vision is to redefine and raise the international benchmark standards for Regional Australia new destination-lead hotel resorts and residential projects. With 25 years of industry experience, including 12 years abroad, Christine has worked on leading large-scale hotels, resorts and residential developments in China, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain. As an artisan, architect, interior designer, creator and facilitator of stakeholder workshops, Christine is also a published expert speaker and prospective board member for environmental master planning within regional Australia.
I went with my heart and am so thrilled with the finished product. The Calcutta mosaic tile is absolutely everything I had dreamed of and had made my kitchen design feel like something really special.
Thanks for sharing my kitchen renovation journey with me! You can find me on Instagram where you can see all my adventures with interiors, home and family life! Thanks guys! Kate